Monday, March 9, 2015

Crock pot Monday

What a day! I got up at 4:30 this morning so I could get my first workout in. I didn't have any other time available through out the day, and there are no excuses for missing a workout on Monday. The kids had to get to school early today, and I had to get dinner in the crock pot before we left. The funny thing is, the more I have to do in a small amount of time, the better I perform, and the calmer I actually am. I forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer last night, so I actually just put it in the crock pot frozen, and I like the way it turns out. Something about the texture that I like better than most chicken in the crock pot.

My day was slammed with back to back clients and then I had to go pick the kids up after school. I went back for my second shift, and had a second workout planned for after those clients. My second client was 30 minutes late, and normally that would make me twitchy, but because I knew dinner was already prepared, and the family could eat, I wasn't too distracted by his tardiness. When I got home, everyone had eaten, and said dinner was delicious. After eating some for myself, I could guess that the kids probably had a very small portion, and then made a cheese crisp or something. Tonight's dinner had a decent kick to it, and my kids don't like "spicy" Needless to say, there are leftovers, and I am very excited about that.

I found this recipe on Pinterest, and it came from www.skinnymom.com

Skinny Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1/6 recipe
Ingredients
    Soup:
  • 16 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 16 oz can reduced-sodium black beans, drained + rinsed
  • 16 oz can kidney beans, drained + rinsed
  • 8 oz can tomato paste
  • 10 oz package of yellow corn, frozen
  • 2 — 10 oz cans Ro*Tel® diced tomatoes with chilies
  • 1 packet reduced-sodium taco seasoning
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 32 oz reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 20 unsalted corn tortilla chips
  • Optional toppings*:
  • reduced-fat sour cream
  • sliced Jalapeño peppers
  • avocado
  • reduced-fat Mexican shredded cheese
  • cilantro, chopped
  • lime wedges
  • *Optional toppings are not included in nutritional calculations.
Instructions
    Soup:
  1. Place chicken on the bottom of the slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients.
  2. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
  3. Remove chicken breasts and shred with a fork, return to slow cooker and mix well. Spoon soup into bowls and top with crumbled tortilla chips. Add optional toppings, if desired.
Nutrition Information
Per Serving (1/6 recipe):
Calories: 389
Calories from fat: 55
Fat: 6g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Cholesterol: 43mg
Sodium: 1795mg
Carbohydrates: 52g
Fiber: 13g
Sugar 16g
Protein: 31g
Calcium: 11%
Iron: 19%

No comments:

Post a Comment