Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Fish and Brussels sprouts after a long day of work and working out

I forgot to post last night, but David was in charge of the cooking. We had meatball subs, and a nice salad. YUM! Today was a split shift for me, and I ate lunch on my break, so I didn't have time to cook, or rather I didn't feel like cooking on my down time. I had 2 clients in the evening, and then had to get in my intervals before heading home. I called David on my way home, and asked him to prep the vegetable. His choice was between broccoli or Brussels sprouts. He chose the Brussels sprouts. Dinner was actually rather easy to fix, and I got to do something that I really enjoy, which is prepping an entire meal, and timing it so that everything is done and ready at the same time.

We had a very pleasant dinner together, at the table as a family. Great bonding and conversation. Everyone liked the dinner, and Kaila ate her entire dinner with only a minimal amount of "picking" - she didn't care for the shallots in the sauce/dressing. I have to figure out what I have in the freezer for tomorrow night's dinner, as we ate the steaks I had planned for tomorrow on Sunday when we had surf and turf. I guess tomorrow is the mystery dinner. Maybe I've come up with a new night, like meatless night, word of the day Wednesday, mystery dinner night. Maybe not.

Dinner looked so delicious that I thought about taking a picture of it, but first I was too hungry, and ate it before I gave it a second thought. Also, I am still pretty frustrated about the pictures I took on Sunday, and my inability to post them here. UGH

Pecan-Coated Roughy
Prep/total: 30 minutes Makes: 4 servings

1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 C finely chopped pecans
4 orange roughy fillets (6 ounces each)
1 Tbsp chopped shallot
2 tsp butter
1/2 C wine
2 tsp cornstarch
1 C orange juice
2 tsp Dijon mustard

Place the egg and pecans in separate shallow bowls. Dip fillets into egg, then coat with pecans. Place in a greased 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute shallot in butter until tender. Add wine. Bring to a boil; cook for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, orange juice and mustard until smooth; stir into wine mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Serve with orange roughy.

OK, so I learned on Sunday that orange roughy is not sustainable, and is actually endangered. So I chose to use tilapia instead. I haven't cooked with roughy in probably a decade, so I haven't purchased it in equally that long, which explains my ignorance I guess. I also use arrowroot instead of cornstarch.  Also, in one of my earlier posts, I think the first one, I mentioned that I try to cook recipes that use similar ingredients, so that I don't end up using part of something and throwing it away, but rather I use it the next night, or the day after. However, wine is an entirely different story. I don't drink. Well, I might have a beer 2-3 times in a year, and I really don't like wine. Especially red wine. I know, please don't judge me. When I have a recipe that calls for wine, then the bottle of unfinished wine will seriously sit in the fridge until the next recipe, and on and on until it's finished.

This dinner was seriously very easy, and quick. I could imagine fixing this after work if I worked a 9-5 job, and then had to run around carting the kids here and there.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment