Sunday, March 1, 2015

Surf and turf on Sunday

I took advantage of having the kids stay at my folks' on Friday night, and started to map out the next blocks of menus. I usually do 3 week blocks, but I had so much in the waiting list. I challenged myself to go for 6 weeks. David and I were watching some movie on TV, so I asked him for 7 dinner suggestions. I had to laugh at the look and scoff I got from him. You would have thought I asked him to paint the house. I did the same thing last night when the kids were home. I got the same look and more of a groan or whine from each of the kids. They made it through, but I had to encourage them to think outside the box, as they were requesting the same things as not only each other, but the same suggestions as their dad the night before. It was totally worth it though, as I now have 6 weeks worth of menu ideas. One of them was brave enough to request to go out, or get take out. Their voice was dripping with question marks, and I very enthusiastically responded with, "that's a great idea! I'll get a night off." I am now second guessing my reaction, and hoping that they forget about it when we go through this process again in 4-5 weeks.

My family takes turns going grocery shopping with me, and this week, it was David's turn. We made a trip to Sprouts before the grocery store, and I learned that orange roughy is not sustainable and endangered. Sprouts no longer sales it. I won't be eating it any longer either.  While we were there, I was selecting some steaks, as that is on the menu for the upcoming week. David remembered that the last time he shopped with me, we found some king crab legs on sale, and bought some. I was planning to cook them for dinner tonight, when I picked up the steaks, David requested that we have surf and turf for dinner. Which now means I have to come up with something to replace the night that the steaks were planned for. Maybe I'll shop the freezer.

I've prepped everything for the upcoming week, and I've even gotten the majority of my lunch and the kids' lunches for tomorrow prepped and packed. I start out trying to do this, and it usually only lasts about 3 days max. Oh well, at least tomorrow morning will be somewhat easier.

So I took a few pictures of what my process looks like when I am menu planning for the week as well as the next 3 (6 in this case) weeks. I am trying to figure out how to get them to post here. I took them with my phone, and I have them on the computer, but I don't know how to get them here. UGH I am seriously inept when it comes to technology. I WILL figure this out.

David grilled the steaks, and I made some asparagus, and prepped the crab. Everyone enjoyed each other's company and the dinner. My picky eater, Kaila had to come up for air. I know she loves steak, and ribs, and burgers. I can now add crab legs to her menu of things she loves to eat. I remember when we went to San Francisco over summer vacation last year, and the two things that my son really wanted to eat was a bread bowl of soup, and crab legs. We didn't get the crab legs while we were in Frisco, but we traveled along the coast to Monterrey Bay, and on our last night there we had dinner at Bubba Gumps and the kids split a bucket of crab legs. They loved it. David and I spent most of time cracking crab for them that we really didn't get to enjoy our own dinners. We got some souvenir cups from the restaurant and they brought them out for their cranberry juice, and we took a trip down memory lane recounting fun times from our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment