Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Blank space. Not a Taylor Swift song.

I am working on trying to reduce my stress and increase my down time. I've started to add "blank space" days into the weekly menu. I don't plan for it every week, but I'm thinking that once every other week or so, should allow me some down time during the week. I had planned for the blank day to fall on Wednesday this week, but we did it tonight instead. My son's grade is taking a field trip to the Grand Canyon in a few months, and there was an informational parent meeting tonight. I had to go in to work, and then meet my family at the meeting. It just seemed easier to move the blank space night to this evening. My intention for the blank space night, other than allowing myself to take a hard earned and well deserved break, is to get my family to clean out the leftovers. We had plenty left over from last night's dinner, and there were a few other options to choose from. Everyone did really well, fending for themselves. Well, Kaila asked if she could have cereal. In keeping with the theme of reducing my stress, I decided that it wasn't worth the fight, and that a night of cereal wouldn't kill her. I only buy "sugar cereal" twice each year, and we don't ever keep it in the house outside of those two occasions, so I was OK with a bowl of cereal.

The only thing now is that I have to cook dinner tomorrow when Heath has parkour class, and I have a Toastmasters meeting. I'm looking for something quick and easy. Heath requested cheeseburgers, but I'm liking the sound of some good ole' sloppy Joes. I could even make those in the crock pot, making my life super simple.

Speaking of simple, I have to let you all know that last night, I wrote about the kitchen clean up being so easy, well as I was writing that, David was in the kitchen cleaning it up! I am one lucky girl. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I feel very appreciated, and I am very grateful.

I didn't use a recipe this evening, so I had the kids grab a cook book, and I did the old trick kids do with a globe, where they spin it, and put there finger on a spot, and say that's where they want to travel. The recipe for tonight is coming from The Mom 100 Cookbook 100 recipes every mom needs in her back pocket.

The Basic Quesadilla (and its infinite possibilities)
For the quesadillas
8 medium sized (8 inch) flour tortillas
2 C (8 ounces) shredded cheese, such as cheddar, a Mexican blend, Monterey Jack, or a combination of any of these.
For the filling
Anything goes: black beans, scallions, chopped fresh cilantro, asparagus, hearts of palm, feta cheese (this goes really great with asparagus)
This list is only limited by your imagination. Remember the post about the salad and sandwich masterpieces? This is essentially the same idea. See how many different colors and/or textures you can get into your quesadilla.
chopped olives, chopped broccoli, thinly sliced zucchini, chopped tomatoes, sliced/grilled onions, roasted bell peppers, shredded chicken, shredded beef or pork.
At the risk of sounding like Bubba from Forest Gump I'll stop here. You get the idea.

If you're using the broiler
1. Preheat the broiler
2. Place 4 tortillas under the broiler, right on the rack, and keep checking them until they turn golden brown on top, 2-3 minutes. A dark brown bubble here or there is fine. Remove the tortillas and place them uncooked side up on a work surface. Evenly sprinkle 1/2 C of the cheese over each of the 4 tortillas.
3. You can add whatever toppings you can think up, or just continue on to step 4.
4. Place the 4 uncooked tortillas on top of the filling. Carefully transfer the tortillas to a baking sheet and place it under the broiler. Broil the quesadillas until the cheese is melted and the top tortillas are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Let the quesadillas sit for a minute before you slice each into 6 wedges and serve them with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and/or cilantro, if desired.

You can also choose to use the grill. Preheat the grill to medium, and follow the same steps above.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment