Monday, February 23, 2015

Easy chicken enchiladas?

While I was mapping out this week's menu, I discovered that I had 3 open spots. I didn't want to pull from next week's menu. so I enlisted the help of the family, and asked for some ideas. David chose pork chops, that he would cook. The kids chose hamburgers, and then David also chose chicken enchiladas. I find that to be a fairly time consuming recipe, and I did not have the time in my schedule to put it together. This is a recipe that I will commonly make and freeze, but I haven't in a while, and therefore was not able to shop from my freezer. I went on the search for a quick and easy recipe, or possibly a crock pot recipe. I started with one of my crockpot cook books, and didn't get very far when I found tonight's recipe. It's not chicken enchiladas, but it was easy and delicious. I put it in the slow cooker this morning, and worked all day. When the kids and I got home, the house smelled so yummy. I shredded the chicken and dinner was ready. I set out the tortillas and cilantro, and cheese, salsa and sour cream, and let everyone build their own burritos/enchiladas, whatever. I opted to have mine sans tortilla, in a bowl, and added some "fixins" The best part, my kitchen was clean, and all I had to do was put the leftovers (what little there was - David loved this recipe) in a glass container for the fridge, and clean out the crockpot.

We were not successful at having dinner at the table, David ate in front of the computer, and Heath and I ate at the table. Kaila was in the shower, and she came to the table for dinner after Heath and I finished eating. We were still at the table, working on math, so we kept her company while she ate. The topic of conversation revolved around the upcoming spring break, and what we want to do during the time off. David and the kids want to go camping, Kaila wants to make a movie, and go someplace to decorate a cake. Heath wants to bake cookies, go to the water park, and go play laser tag. I want to go to a spring training game, go hiking, and go biking. So far, we've written down all the things we want to do, now we just have to plan the logistics of it all. I know that the water park isn't open for the season yet, so that's out. Kind of fun planning out all the options though.

I will post 2 recipes tonight. The first will be the recipe for tonight's dinner, and the second will be the chicken enchilada recipe I use. I will say that it is relatively easy, but there are quite a few steps, and it makes a mess, so it's much easier if I am able to make a few things ahead. However, I enlisted my family's help yesterday and one of the meals was for today, so not too much time to prepare ahead. This recipe originated from my dad, who was trying to find things to do with leftover turkey after Thanksgiving one year when I was in high school. I use chicken instead, and it's just as delicious, if not better.

Anne's Chicken Burritos
Makes: 6-8 servings

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
15.25 oz can corn, drained
16-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
16-oz jar salsa
6-8 10 inch flour tortillas
Garnish: shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream, sliced avocado, or guacamole

Combine chicken, corn, beans and salsa in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low setting for 8-10 hours, or on high setting for 4-6 hours. Shred chicken; stir back into slow cooker. Roll up in tortillas; garnish as desired.

Chicken Enchiladas
12 corn tortillas
chicken breasts (I use 2)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can olives, sliced
4 oz green chiles
1/2 onion
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1 can of water (1/2 can per can of soup)

Bake chicken breasts at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until done. Set aside to cool, then shred.

Saute' onions in pan sprayed with cooking spray. Add soups and water and green chiles. Add salt and pepper if desired. Simmer

Bake tortillas 10 minutes at 350-375.

Dip tortillas in sauce, then layer: tortillas, chicken, cheese and olives for about 3 layers, ending with a layer of tortillas, remaining sauce and a layer of cheese.
Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

If you have an easier, quicker recipe, I would love you to share it in the comments.
Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment