Thursday, February 19, 2015

sandwich and salad masterpieces

Whenever I make a salad or a sandwich, I take it as a challenge to see how much I can put in it, or on it. I try to come up with unique flavor combinations, and make it a masterpiece. I love lots of colors and texture. Every few weeks David will request to have sandwiches for dinner. Tonight was David's turn to fix dinner, and he had requested sandwiches. Aside from trying to turn a sandwich into a masterpiece, I love tuna sandwiches and egg salad sandwiches. I will add as much to either of those to see what fun I can come up with. I also like to halve a red bell pepper, and fill it with the tuna or egg salad, or whatever.

Tonight was tuna salad sandwiches. David makes it the traditional way, not adding anything extra like relish, onions, pickles or olives. Just mayo, and tuna. He will fix up some bacon, and slice some avocado and tomato, put out some sliced cheese, and lettuce, and let everyone fix their own sandwich. I will get out the stacker pickles and capers to add, as well as chopping up some shallots, olives and celery.

Some fun things to add to your tuna include;
*Yogurt makes the tuna lighter, extra virgin olive oil makes the tuna looser
*Instead of tuna, you can use salmon, trout or shredded chicken
*Diced apples, raisins, or dried fruit, make a fun addition to the basic tuna salad
*Diced fennel, cabbage, or cucumbers or any other crunchy vegetable add a nice texture
*Try adding a dash of curry, dukkah, harissa, chopped fresh herbs, or any combination from your spice rack for some fun flavor

I should have made some homemade bread, but didn't. I had my sandwich on rye bread while the rest of the family used white bread.

Sandwiches don't get much easier, and time efficient. You can also get the family involved, by delegating who is in charge of what ingredients, and setting up an assembly line, of sorts.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment