Thursday, February 12, 2015

exhausted

I am absolutely exhausted tonight. As a trainer and coach, my job is somewhat physical, and I am up and moving constantly. Today, I had a training class to go to. I learned some valuable and exciting information, but I had to sit for over 8 hours. I am not cut out for that, and it seriously exhausted me. I did not fix anything in the crock pot, nor did I have anything for David to prepare.  When I walked in the door at 7 this evening, David came down the hall and asked, "What's for dinner?" !!!?!? Are you kidding me?!?! THEN...My daughter was filling out valentine cards that she printed from the computer. My son didn't have any valentines, so David asked where his were, and asked why I didn't buy him any. Again !!!?!?! I said that his teacher said it was optional, and he said that he thought Heath should have some to pass out. Great, I thought, take him to the store and buy him some. Guess who had to run out to the store, and buy the boy some valentines? I can see how some people really have no desire to cook when they get home from work, and end up getting take out, or turning to some quick and easy pre-made frozen processed meal. Trust me when I tell you I was wishing I had a pizza in the freezer. Believe me when I say that not too long ago, we used to.

So tonight ended up being a YOYO (you're on your own) night, or a Must-go night. We had some healthy left-overs, and the kids had some other options. I also had some veggies that I prepped on Sunday, and mid week. You know, to spice up the PB&J my son had and the cheese crisp my daughter had.

So some things that I like to do include fixing and freezing, as well as making a dish that can serve as double duty. Like a big roast one night, and then a shepherd's pie the next for example. Well, I have this cook book, Fix It, Freeze It, Heat It & Eat It. There is a chapter in the titled double-duty recipe. They actually combined my two favorite things! This is fantastic, because while I do love to fix a recipe for double duty, I don't always want to have the second meal option the next day or even later the week.

Old-Fashioned Pot Roast
Hands-on Time: 35 minutes Total Time: 6 hr.,43 min.
Makes: 10 - 15 servings (plus 5 C for the second option)

1/2 C minced fresh parsley
3 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp dried marjoram
1 Tbsp dried thyme
1 (6-7 lb) chuck roast
4 medium onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
1 C burgundy or other dry red wine
1 1/2 lb potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 lb carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 lb turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 325. Combine the first 5 ingredients; pat over the roast. Cover and refrigerate 2-4 hours. Combine onion rings and wine in a large Dutch oven; ass roast. Bake, covered, at 325 for 2 hours.
2. Add potato, carrot, and turnip; bake, covered, at 325 for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and bake 20 minutes or until roast is tender. Let stand 15 minutes until serving.
3. Arrange meat and vegetables on a serving platter. Pour pan drippings into a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Serve with meat and vegetables.

TO FREEZE IT: Remove remaining meat from bone. Slice or chop meat as desired. Freeze in a labeled airtight container up to 3 months.

Beef-and-Bean Tostadas
Hands-on Time: 22 min. Total Time: 40 min Makes: 4 servings

1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp oil
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 C tomato juice
1 (16 oz) can pinto beans, drained, rinsed,  and mashed
5 C sliced old-fashioned pot roast (above recipe)
8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
1 C (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 C shredded lettuce
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 C salsa
sour cream (optional)

TO THAW IT: Remove Old-Fashioned Pot Roast from freezer, and throw in fridge overnight.

1. Preheat oven to 300. Saute' chopped onion and garlic in oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in chili powder and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Stir in mashed beans.
2. Microwave pot roast in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 3-5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring once.
3. Divide bean mixture among tortillas, spreading to edges. Divide cheese among tortillas; sprinkle with pepper.
4. Place tortillas on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 300 for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with lettuce, green onion, pot roast, and salsa. Serve with sour cream, if desired.

I could see fixing the pot roast n a Sunday, for a nice family dinner. Possible having some friends or relatives over. Then freezing the leftovers until you're ready to use them for tostadas or whatever else you choose to fix. It's best to thaw out the meat in the fridge over night, but in a pinch, you could defrost it in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment