Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Processed food! GASP!!!

Today was another busy day. I worked a split shift, and ended up subbing up a cycle class, which kept me at work until 6:30. Kaila had a dress rehearsal for her school play, and she didn't get out until 4:30. I gave David instructions on dinner, and told him that he had to go to the store for an ingredient. You see, we were supposed to have this meal tomorrow, but I didn't take the games hens for tonight's dinner out of the freezer, so I had to switch the two days up. Tonight's meal was grilled Reuben sandwiches. However, when I got home, dinner wasn't prepared, so I had to quickly throw it together. There is a scene in the sitcom, King of Queens, where the female lead is working late, and the male lead and supporting male character are sitting at the dinner table just waiting for their dinner. That's how I felt when I got home, it made me laugh. I had David help me, and we set it up assembly line style, and got the sandwiches on the skillet. I always ask the kids how they want their sandwiches cut. I like them cut diagonally, but the kids seem to always want it straight down the middle. Meh. The kids were watching a movie when I got home, so I let them finish it while they ate their dinner. My goal for tomorrow - non negotiable, is to have dinner at the table as a family. I may have the planning and prepping down, but making sure that we eat together is something I am still working on. I think that because I work 3 nights a week, and we have activities on most of the other nights, then throw in homework, and getting everything ready for the next day, it's very easy to just throw it together, and have everyone grab it when they're ready. We are making an effort, but it's not easy.


Grilled Reuben Sandwiches
1/4 C light mayonnaise (light or regular)
2 Tbsp chili sauce or ketchup
1 tsp prepared horseradish
8 slices rye or pumpernickel bread
2 Tbsp butter
8 slices deli style sliced Swiss cheese
1 pound thinly sliced deli corned beef or turkey pastrami
3/4 C well drained sauerkraut

1. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, chili sauce, and horseradish; mix well.
2. Spread one side of each slice of bread with the butter; place buttered side down on waxed paper. Top each with 1 slice of cheese. Arrange corned beef over half of the bread slices;top with mayonnaise mixture and sauerkraut. Close sandwiches with remaining half of bread slices, cheese side down and buttered side up.
3. Cook on preheated large griddle (or cook two sandwiches at a time in a large skillet) over medium-low heat 4-5 minutes per side or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment