Wednesday, February 18, 2015

I've been caught

HA! So I was talking last time about how I had such a busy weekend and I was in the midst of an allergy attack. Well, last week was busy with me having to be so many places all week. This week finds me with back to back clients for the entirety of every shift I work. I am not complaining about this. On the contrary, I love what I get to do for a living, and I love even more when I can stack my clients up to fill the day. It makes the day fun and fast. At any rate, my allergies turned into a cold. Yesterday I woke up with a sore throat, so I added some zinc to my vitamin regimen, and washed it down with some emergen C. I am feeling significantly better today, but I am feeling tired, so I will be turning in early tonight.

My morning started off not so great. Last Thursday, I was in the middle of an all day meeting for work, and I scheduled an early morning meeting for my son's IEP for this morning at 7:15. The kids didn't have school on Monday, so of course my week was all messed up, and I wasn't cluing in to what day it was. I was thinking it was Tuesday, and going through my list of clients, and then it hit me that all of the clients I was thinking about were Wednesday clients...and didn't I have a meeting or something??? AT THE SCHOOL!!! AT 7:15 THIS MORNING!!!! It was 7:30 when this thought raced through my head. I called the school to let them know that I was aware of the meeting and would not be there. I then got the kids in the car to take them to school and proceeded to hunt down everyone that was scheduled to be in the meeting whose time I had disrespected and wasted. I apologized to each one of them in person. That is not like me, and I was/am very embarrassed.

The day had only one way to go after that. Of course it got better after I apologized, and got to work. Both kids were so sweet, and showered me with hugs, and encouraging words when they saw how distressed and mad at myself I got. I'm glad they have learned compassion and empathy.

The inspiration for this recipe came from my mom. The place that Heath goes to parkour has a sea food/Mexican restaurant in the same plaza, and the food is delicious. I told my folks about it, and they ate there a few weeks back. I have been thinking about eating there again ever since. I decided to make fish tacos to satisfy my cravings. I found this recipe on Pinterest, and it is so yummy. When you follow the pin, it actually takes you to a Good Housekeeping article, so I guess the credit actually belongs to Good Housekeeping Magazine. Either way, delicious. I had the kids help me prep the veggies, and the avocado, and the tortillas, so it was a quick prep, and a fun family bonding and teaching/learning experience.

The word of the day this Wednesday was: Thaumaturge. Meaning, a worker of wonders or miracles; magician. That was a fun one to try to make sentences with. I said that I sometimes feel like a thaumaturge on Mondays, when I am able to get the kids out of the house early and make sure Kaila gets to her announcements on time.

Fish and Zucchini Tacos
Prep Time: 10 min Total Time: 24 min Makes: 4 main dish servings

2 medium zucchini
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
salt & pepper
2 limes
1 pound skinless red snapper or other firm white fish fillets
1/2 C packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
8 corn tortillas
1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 C chunky salsa

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, trim zucchini, then cut each crosswise into 2 inch pieces. Cut each piece lengthwise through centers into 8 wedges. On 18x12 jelly roll pan, combine zucchini, oil, chili powder, and 1/4 tsp salt until well mixed. Roast 10 minutes.

2. Form 1 lime, squeeze 1 Tbsp juice. Cut remaining lime into wedges; set aside. Push zucchini to one side of the pan. Arrange fish in a single layer on the other side. Sprinkle fish with lime juice, then 2 Tbsp cilantro and 1/4 tsp salt. roast 8-10 minutes or until fish is just opaque throughout.

3. Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in damp paper towels and place in glass or ceramic pie plate. Microwave on high 1 minute or until warm and pliable.

4. Break fish into large chunks. Divide fish and zucchini among tortillas. Top with avocado slices and remaining cilantro. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and serve with lime wedges and salsa.

You know how I feel about cilantro. I used the cilantro in the recipe as directed, and had the reserve for my family to use, but I did not add it to mine. I did not use the salt in either part of the recipe. I don't feel it's necessary. Especially when cooking sea food.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment