Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Taco Tuesday

What an absolutely beautiful day it was today. I had the privilege of helping change a few lives through the power of fitness, and I am currently coaching someone for an upcoming marathon. He is progressing exactly as he should be, and I am so excited to see the final outcome in a few weeks. I think he is going to be very pleasantly surprised by the results. I am also helping my son with his "County float." Every year, the fourth graders study the counties in the state, and then the week of our state's birthday, they have a county float parade. By nature, I am a creative person. Not in an artsy, crafty way, but I love to compose and write, and come up with concepts and design. I worked on a few things last night, and then had a hard time getting to sleep. The same thing happens when I compose a speech for Toastmasters. I just get amped, and find I can't sleep. This evening, I put a few things together so all my son has to do, is glue everything onto the float.

Tomorrow is Toastmasters, and my son has parkour. The hubs is building the diorama for the top of the county float, and can't take Heath to parkour, so I had to enlist my folks' help. I have to drop the kids off, and then pick them up after Toastmasters. Not that big of a deal, except that I don't get out of TM until after 8, which doesn't get us home until after 9, and then the kids won't be in bed until after 9:30 tomorrow night. Not my favorite. I know it's only 1 night, but I am pretty OCD on bedtime. Anyway, I figured that no one would be home for dinner, except David, so I can either fix his favorite soup, or I can just let him fend for himself. My plan is to make the soup, but we will have to see how everything plays out tomorrow. I've already rearranged the week's menu because of this. No stress.

Tonight we had tacos, and I love how everyone came to the table without me having to yell, "DINNER TIIIMME!" I also got help with setting the table AND cleaning up the kitchen. They love when I make these for dinner, and I love the help I get. Everyone wins. Tacos are pretty straight forward, I use grass fed ground beef, and I make them the old fashioned way - fried in a skillet, nice and crunchy. Tonight's recipe is for a mango salsa that my family loves. This recipe came from Betty Crocker, and it's actually from a tropical chicken roll recipe, but I use the mango salsa for anything. So yummy.

Mango-Papaya Relish

1 jalapeno chili, seeded and finely chopped
2 Tbsp sliced green onions
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger root
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 large mango, pitted, peeled and chopped
1 large papaya, peeled, seeded and shopped

Mix all ingredients.

I used lime, ginger and cilantro in last night's dinner, so I had some leftover = no waste! That is my absolute favorite thing, when I have a recipe that uses part of an ingredient, and I can find another recipe to use the remainder of that ingredient to cut down on waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment