Sunday, February 1, 2015

Too excited to sleep in

Today was a shopping and meal prep day for me, and as I was laying in bed at 5:30 this morning, trying desperately to go back to sleep - it's Sunday for Pete's sake! I found myself thinking ahead to my grocery trip, and meal planning. Then I realized that this coming Wednesday is senior Wednesday. Where seniors get a 10% discount off their grocery bill. My mom was kind enough to add her info to my VIP card, so I get a discount as well. I just have to be willing and patient enough to brave shopping with a store full of winter visitors and people who have all the time in the world. I compared this with having to shop on Superbowl Sunday, and decided that it would be the same either way, but I could save some money on Wednesday. Then I started thinking about a list of things I needed before Wednesday and then what I could get later, and then it hit me that I could shop for most things I needed to keep me until the 15th. By this point I was wide awake, and it was 5:45. I got out of bed, and got to work on my weekly menu, and grocery list - in this case lists.

I am not a huge couponer, but knowing that I can save an additional 10% on top of all my coupons, I am clipping and getting online coupons connected to my VIP account like a mad woman. The kids have early release from school on Wednesday, so they will be going with me, and we should be done by the time they would regularly get out of school, so I'm pretty excited by this.

The kids spent the night at my folk's house last night so David and I could have a date night. Kaila wanted to stay over at their house to watch the football game, but Heath wanted to come home. I picked him up before starting my shopping, and he was my companion for the day. When we got home, I set to prepping for the week. I have asparagus, broccoli, green beans and sweet potatoes. I also made some chicken, rice and quinoa. When I was in the check out lane, the cashier commented on it and said, "Why is quinerola so popular lately? What does it do for you?" I thought that was funny.

Today was another "on your own" days. David and Kaila had Subway while watching the game. Heath and I had leftovers.

I had a request for some zucchini bread earlier last week, and I made that part of my meal prep. I found an interesting recipe that I thought I'd try. I found it in my Mom's Big Book of Baking cookbook.

Savory Zucchini Bread
1 C peeled and grated zucchini
3 C unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
1/4 C olive oil
1 1/4 C whole or lowfat milk
1 1/2 C grated Pecorion Romano or Parmesan cheese
1/3 C pitted and coarsely chopped Kalamata olives
1/4 C finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Coat the inside of a 9x5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Squeeze the grated zucchini over the sink to remove excess moisture. Set it aside.

2. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the egg oil and milk. With a wooden spoon, stir until all the ingredients are moistened. Stir in the zucchini, cheese, olives and parsley.

3. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the loaf until it is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 60-65 minutes. invert it onto a wire rack, and then turn it right side up on the rack to cool completely.

If you try this out, please comment and let me know what you think. I also made a regular loaf of zucchini bread, because I knew David would have no part of this loaf. I made it as written, but I imagine I could use almond flour or coconut flour in place of the all-purpose flour. The almond flour might make it on the dense and dry side though.

No comments:

Post a Comment