Sunday, February 22, 2015

Lazy Sunday

I slept in today, Fixed some yummy breakfast burritos for our family breakfast. Then I took a nap on the couch, flanked by both my children while they watched some nature show on TV. I wanted to set up another 3 week block today, but I will leave that for sometime later this week. I set up this week's menu and made the grocery list. I then went through all of my coupons, and added some e-coupons. I'm a bit miffed, b/c I used more coupons on this trip, and ended up with a lower percentage of savings then I usually do. I am planning another coupon centered trip on the first Wednesday of March, so I can get my savings from the coupons and the senior savings. I hope I can do better that day.

Once we got home, I fixed the veggie packs for next week, I cooked up some rice for a few lunches, and boiled some eggs for a nice snack. All of my snacks are mapped out and prepped. Lunches are mapped out, and I am ready to start the week off right. After the snacks were all prepped, I started in on dinner. I had David in the kitchen helping me with chopping and cleaning. Sometimes, I like him to keep me company in the kitchen. Tonight's dinner was super easy. I am thinking of a way to make it even easier, in the way of using less dishes. That way I will have less clean up.

We ate together as a family, and David got in trouble, because he dipped into the rice that I made. He thought it went with the dinner. Why would rice go with a dish that has potatoes in it? He's killing me. After dinner, my daughter wanted to watch the Oscars. She went down the hall to put on her best dress to watch the show. Too cute.

Skillet Beef and Potatoes
Prep/total time: 25 min  Makes: 4 servings

3 medium potatoes, halved and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/3 C water
1/2 tsp salt
1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
2 tsp garlic-pepper seasoning blend
1/2 C chopped onion
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1-1/2 tsp minced fresh rosemary

Place potatoes, water and salt in a microwave safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 6-10 minutes or until tender; drain. Season beef with pepper blend. In a large skillet, stir-fry beef and onion in 2 Tbsp oil for 5 minutes or until beef is no longer pink.
Meanwhile, in another skillet, stir-fry potatoes in remaining oil for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in beef mixture. Sprinkle with rosemary.

I'm wondering if I could just microwave the potatoes, and then add to the beef mixture without browning them first. I didn't fell like the potatoes were "browned" Something to experiment with next time.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment