Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Word of the day Wednesday and a family discussion

Great day and a great meal today. Today the kids had early release from school, so we did some grocery shopping after I picked them up. Heath also had his parkour class. After we came home from parkour, the kids had to take showers. Kaila was in the middle of a movie, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, one of my favorites. I had asked Heath to take his shower first, and then Kaila would follow, we'd have dinner after. Heath rushed through his shower like most 10 year old boys wanting to watch a movie. I asked him when he came out if he washed his hair. He said yes, and I knew he did not. I asked to smell his hair, and then asked again if he washed it. This is when he changed his answer. I made him get back in the shower, and promised a family discussion at the dinner table.

Dinner was slow cooker stuffed game hens. I am not a fan of chicken in the crock pot, something about the texture turns me off, but the way this was cooked was delicious. I did not stuff the game hens like the directions instruct. Mainly because my game hens were not 100% thawed. I had David fix the stuffing and the green beans while Heath and I were at parkour.

The word of the day was "winnow" to separate the valuable from the worthless. I went first to add it to part of the family discussion. I am trying to teach the kids that lying is deplorable, and that they will get into worse trouble by lying. I explained to Heath that if he had told me the first time that he didn't wash his hair, I might have simply given him a lecture on hygiene, and maybe or maybe not have made him go back and wash his hair. However, since he lied about it, not only did he have to go back and wash his hair, he is also restricted from all electronics over the weekend. This is how clever my kids are. While Heath was washing his hair he was, "thinking up a suitable punishment" He decided that he should go to bed without dinner, and shouldn't be allowed to watch the movie. I explained that he didn't get to choose the punishment in this case, and he needed to refuel his body after his parkour class, so he wasn't skipping dinner. It's a good thing too. He loved every bite of it. Kaila ate everything except the stuffing. Though she did take a bite to see how it tastes. Our first night back at the dinner table as a family felt pretty successful.
This dinner was pretty easy to fix. Even if I had been able to stuff the hens, it would have been very easy. This recipe came from Everyday Slow Cooker.

Stuffed Game Hens
2 20 oz. Cornish game hens, thawed
salt and pepper to taste
8-oz. pkg. chicken-flavored stuffing mix, prepared

Sprinkle hens all over with salt and pepper; stuff loosely with prepared stuffing. Wrap each hen tightly in a length of aluminum foil; arrange in slow cooker. Spoon any extra stuffing onto a length of foil and make a sealed packet; place on top of hens. Cover and cook on low setting for 6-8 hours, until juices run clear when hens are pierced.
Serves 2

We just cut up the hens, and the 2 hens generously served our family with leftovers. We steamed some fresh green beans as a side dish, and made the stuffing outside of the hens as another side dish.

So easy, and because everything was wrapped in aluminum foil...Super easy clean up = BONUS!


No comments:

Post a Comment