Sunday, January 25, 2015

Back on tack with a quite Sunday dinner

Please forgive me. I didn't post yesterday. I admit, I was lazy and didn't feel like cooking. I also didn't get anything out of the freezer in the morning, so I couldn't cook even if I wanted to. After dinner, we watched a movie as a family, and I fell asleep on the couch, so I couldn't have posted...even if I wanted to.

I had a wonderful lazy morning of sleeping in and writing out the grocery list for the week. By noon, my son and I hit the grocery store. He and I also had a nice hour long hike after we were done shopping. Then we came home, and I started dinner. This is a family favorite that a good friend directed me to. She told me about the recipe, and the first time I made it, everyone loved it. Every time I make it, everyone eats everything on their plate, and no one speaks. Seriously it makes for a very quiet evening at the dinner table. I LOVE it! So the recipe comes from www.thecookingguy.com There was a video that came with it, and when Sam - the cooking guy  takes the ribs out of the oven, he accidentally drops a rack on the ground, brushes it off and throws it on the grill. Cracks me up every time I watch it. So funny.

I served potato salad and cowboy beans as side dishes, and we usually do watermelon for dessert when we have ribs. Tonight though, I made root beer floats.

Sticky Sweet Ribs
Serves 4

2 racks pork back ribs, about 4 pounds (I use either baby back or spare ribs)
1 1/2 C barbecue sauce, plain
1/4 C pancake syrup
1/4 C brown sugar
4 Tbsp white vinegar

Mix the sauce, syrup and brown sugar, set aside.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Place ribs in a large baking/casserole dish. Pour vinegar into dish with ribs and cover tightly with aluminium foil. Bake about 75 minutes or until very tender.
Remove from oven and carefully lift off the tin foil - watch out for steam.
The ribs are now fully cooked and just need to be "sauced" finished and you have 2 options:

1. Heat grill to medium and place ribs meat side down without sauce - but you can baste the back with the sauce. Cook until they start to develop grill marks, and turn over - now baste the top. You can stop here after they grill a bit on this side, or you could baste them a bit more and then give them a couple more minutes meat side down.

2. Heat broiler to high and place ribs on a baking sheet about 4 inches from the heat source. Brush the top of the ribs well with the sauce and cook until they start getting a bit brown - then flip to the back, sauce and cook some more. Flip back to the top (sauce again) and cook until they get that beautiful rib look.

Finally, no matter how you've cooked them, give 'em one extra baste after they've been removed and just before you serve them.

I follow the first option. I also find that the portions for the sauce are too much. Maybe David doesn't sauce them up enough??

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment