Thursday, January 15, 2015

Learn something new everyday

Today is the recipe that almost didn't happen. I read the recipe over breakfast, and figured I was good to go. I would make it on my break from work, after I picked the kids up from school. When we got home, I sat down for lunch (leftovers have been so good to me this week), and turned on the TV. "The Talk" was on and they were on the cooking segment of the show. Out comes  Evette Rios, the host of Recipe Rehab. Wait...What?!? Who is this person? What show is this? How do I not know about this? Where has this been all my life? I'm thinking I need to watch more TV, or change the channels. Thank goodness for Hulu, now I can watch all these shows. So as I'm watching I am thinking about what I'm about to make for dinner, and that it desperately needs a recipe makeover. The first ingredient is 3 cups of flour. Over the Christmas holiday, I invited my mom over and we, along with my daughter, made cookies. I bought all the ingredients I thought we'd need and when we finished I had an unopened bag of flour left. My mom volunteers at a food bank, and I gave her the bag of flour to donate to the food bank. I went to the freezer to get some flour, and find that I have about 1/2 cup. Now what? What can I make for my family instead??? Wait a minute, I have Pamela's gluten free, wheat free pancake mix! I wonder if that will work...After doing some research on Pamela's web site, I see that I can use it and just leave out the baking powder and salt.  I got it together, and while it was baking, I had time to clean up the mess, and make the salad. The salad calls for some blue cheese, and I really do not like blue cheese, however, I can not get enough of this salad. I am so excited for tomorrow's lunch.
No one in my family has any food allergies, and I am very thankful for that. I use Pamela's gluten free, wheat free pancake mix when I make my family pancakes. I usually will make a double batch and freeze them, so my kids can have microwave pancakes like they see in the store.

We didn't get to eat dinner at the table last night, and therefore missed "word of the day Wednesday" Kaila asked if we could do it tonight, so we combined "word of the day" and "thought of the day" The word of the day today was mackle, we had fun with it. The kids ate about half of what was put on their plate, claiming they were full, so I told them no after school snacks tomorrow. I will give them some fruit to snack on, but that's it. They were chowing down on everything today, and I bet that they were actually full, so I will take control of their snacks tomorrow. Heath did ask if he could pack some leftover dinner in his lunch box tomorrow. I tell you, the leftovers have saved me time and money, and fed me well this past week.

These recipes came from Taste of Home A+ Recipes

Ham and Cheddar Scones
Prep: 25 minutes Bake: 20 minutes Makes: 1 dozen

3 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C sugar
2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 C heavy whipping cream
1 C diced fully cooked ham
1/2 C diced cheddar cheese
4 green onions, thinly diced

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in cream just until moistened. Stir in the ham, cheese and onions. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.

2. Transfer dough to a greased baking sheet. Pat into a 9 in. circle. Cut int 12 wedges, but do not separate. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

I didn't add green onions, only because it's never something I add. Maybe because I'm lazy. Maybe I should plant some in the garden, and the next recipe I have that calls for green onions, I could use them. Like I said, I used pancake mix, and therefore left out the baking powder and the salt. I also used 1.5 C of the ham, and 1 full cup of the cheese

Crunchy Apple Salad
Prep/total time: 30 minutes Makes: 16 servings (1 cup each)

2 packages (5 ounces each) spring mix salad greens
2 large apples, chopped
2 cups bagel chips, coarsely crushed
1 1/2 C honey-roasted peanuts
1 C (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
 Dressing
1/3 C sugar
1/3 C canola oil
1/4 C cider vinegar
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
1 1/4 tsp diced minced onion
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp pepper

1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat.

So for the salad, I cut it in half. I don't think we could eat 16 servings before it went soggy. Even with cutting it in half, I had 2 servings at dinner, and I will have leftovers!!! I made the dressing in the full amount (only because I'm not good enough at math to cut it down). However, I didn't, "drizzle it over the top, and toss to coat." Instead, I left it on the side, and then drizzled 1-2 tsp over the top of my individual servings. There is just too much sugar in it for me to be comfortable drowning my veggies in it.

I know this was a longer blog than usual, but you got a "twofer." Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment