Friday, January 30, 2015

Perfect day for soup

Last night it started pouring rain, and it didn't let up all day. This would've been the perfect day for some homemade soup, and a nice loaf of homemade bread. Instead, my poor husband had to grill up some pork chops. Thankfully, the rain let up while he was out there grilling. I also made some cider glazed carrots for a side dish.

We seem to have hit a dip as far as getting together at the table for dinner. I may make sure that we eat well every night, but making sure we sit together for that meal; that's a little more difficult for our family. I think that because I work 3 nights a week, it just wasn't a habit, and when we get busy, it's easy to just fall back into that pattern. Tonight, I got us back on track, and made sure we sat together for dinner. David canceled our cable earlier this week, and he hasn't ordered/hooked up Netflix, or whatever so we have no TV right now. That's OK, I love to play board games, and when my family has nothing else to do, they will play games with me. I don't care if we ever get TV again. We did watch a movie; the kids and I, before David got home from work. I also found it easier to get motivated to make dinner tonight. Usually on Fridays and Saturdays I just don't want to cook. The meat was defrosted, so that held me accountable, and David was doing the grilling, so really all I needed to do was make the carrots, but in the past I would've just said, "we don't need a side dish." Without a TV, I am not snoozing on the couch, and my family got their side dish.

Looking back over this month, I only missed 1 day submitting a blog post which makes me happy. I also plan to figure out how to add pictures, to make this blog a bit more fancy. So those are the goals for February; spice up the blog with pictures and flare, try not to miss even 1 day, no excuses for not sitting at the table when we are all home and able to do so.

This recipe came from my Taste of Home Simple & Delicious Cookbook. I don't do anything to alter the recipe, and it's one of David's favorites. I haven't made it in a while, and it was a welcome surprise for everyone.

Cider Glazed Carrots
Prep/total time: 30 minutes

3 C julienned fresh carrots
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 C apple cider or juice
3 Tbsp water 1 tsp Dijon mustard

In a large skillet, saute carrots in butter for 5 minutes. Add brown sugar. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until the sugar is dissolved.
Stir in the cider, water and mustard. Bring to a a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender. Uncover and cook 3 minutes longer. Stir to coat carrots with the glaze. Yields: 4 servings

I prefer to use fresh carrots and cut them up myself ( I use a mandolin, and don't always julienne. I also have a spirooli that I love and sometimes use). However, if you'd like to save some time by making your prep time quicker, use packaged shredded carrots. Then simply place all the ingredients in a skillet and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Uncover and cook 3 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened.


No comments:

Post a Comment