Friday, January 23, 2015

Multiplicity

This is one of those weekends when I am being pulled in a million different directions. It makes me think of the movie Multiplicity with Michael Keaton. These weekends are tough for me, much as one would expect. While I am no expert nor am I perfect, I am however a perfectionist. So when I get inundated with tons of things that need to be done, and places that I need to be, I stress. I just feel like I am holding my breath until I am able to check each thing off the list, then I can breathe a little bit with each check mark. By the time Monday rolls around, I am ready to just sit and do nothing, but the week starts again. Most often in the past, when these weekends come up, I would just ditch whatever I had planned on the menu, and order a pizza or some other take out, so I wouldn't have to cook. Not this time. I can do this. I made sure to get the salmon out of the freezer so I would have to cook it - hold myself accountable. My daughter is doing some volunteer service work with my mom in the morning tomorrow, and it was easier for her to spend the night, and tonight's dinner was one of her favorites. She requested it. We didn't get to eat at the table as a family, and as a matter of fact, I ended up packing a serving plate in a Tupperware so Kaila could eat her dinner at my folk's house.

David topped the salmon with some barbecue sauce, and put it on the oven while I put the potatoes together to put in the oven.  The potato dish is really yummy, but I had Brussels sprouts and sweet potato leftovers to eat, so I had that with the salmon. Heath doesn't like this potato dish, so David and Kaila scarfed the cheesy potatoes. The recipe came from my Super Suppers cookbook.

Arizona Potatoes
Makes: 8-10 servings

Nonstick cooking spray
6 C frozen loose-pack shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/2 C butter, melted
2 C shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 C sliced green onion
2 C sour cream
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375. Coat a 13x9x2 inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.

2. In a large bowl combine potatoes, butter, cheese, green onion, sour cream, salt and pepper. Spread mixture in prepared baking dish.

3. Bake 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

You can prepare this recipe through step two, without preheating the oven. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Preheat the oven. Continue according to step three. This is a great way to plan ahead when you know you're going to be busy, and either not have time to cook, or just not want to cook. Another option would be to freeze ahead by preparing through step 2 without preheating the oven. Cover and freeze up to 1 month. Defrost completely in the refrigerator. Preheat oven. Continue according to step 3.

I usually cut this recipe in half, because I don't need 8-10 servings. I also leave out the green onion, and that is why it is one of Kaila's favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment