Friday, January 9, 2015

Salmon

I am thankful for 3 things today. First I am thankful for leftovers. I worked 8-2 today. Back to back clients with no breaks in between. I get to work right after dropping the kids at school, and I leave work after my last client, to go pick them up. Essentially this means that I don't eat during that time frame. Sure, I keep almonds, cashews and macadamias at my desk, and I bring a sliced apple that I can sneak a bite or two while one client is warming up, but I have no lunch until I get home around 2:45. By this point I am hungry enough that if I don't have something ready I will go for the kids' snacks. I love my leftovers, and this week I had plenty to choose from.
Next, I am thankful for our family's tradition of going out to eat to celebrate a birthday. Next weekend is David's birthday, but he has to work that weekend, and I know he won't want to go out to eat, so I moved it up when I was planning the weekly menus. Last night I said I was going to try hard to fix what was on the menu, and my planning ahead saved me.
This brings me to the third thing I am grateful for this evening. I am thankful for easy dinners on nights when I don't feel like cooking. Tonight was so simple; salmon and asparagus.

I know there are pros and cons to both wild caught and farm raised salmon, but I prefer wild caught. I used to use a store bought marinade on the salmon, but now I either just squeeze lemon juice over it, and place a few lemon slices on top while cooking. If I'm looking for something more "saucey" I will mix up some honey and low sodium teriyaki, and drizzle that over the top before cooking. Tonight, we went saucey. I also prepared some asparagus for our side. I have to laugh at my daughter, because she will eat the asparagus, but she eats it starting at the bottom, and she will not eat the tip of it. It's pretty funny, but at least she's eating a vegetable right?
I did it! I could have very easily phoned it in , and told the hubs to order a pizza or take out Chinese, but I made sure to take the salmon out of the freezer last night, so I had to cook it. I took a small siesta after my late lunch, then I took my daughter to the gym to teach her about working out. Once we got home, I set straight to fixing dinner.

Since the family is going out to eat tomorrow, and I won't have a recipe for you, and I didn't really have much of a recipe today, I will share one of my favorite breakfast recipes. Tomorrow, I will share a meal prep tip, or maybe about how I get my kids to pack - and eat a healthy and balanced lunch.

Feel free to share any recipes, or tips you might have. Like I've stated before, I am not an expert, and I love to learn from others.

Pear Blueberry Crumble
2 pears
1/2 Tbsp all spice
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 Tbsp honey
150 g frozen blueberries
1 Tbsp arrowroot
Topping
1/4 C almond meal
5 dates
1/3 C walnuts

1. Peel, slice and core pears. Place pears, all spice, lemon juice and honey in a skillet. Cook for 10 minutes at a medium heat.

2. Mix arrowroot with 1 Tbsp water, and add to thicken the pear mixture.

3. Add the blueberries.

4. Combine almond meal, dates, and walnuts in blender.

5. Place pear mixture in a casserole dish and top with almond - date mixture.

6. Bake 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment