Monday, January 26, 2015

Delish fish

Tonight's dinner was so easy, that even if I did work 9-5 and had a terrible day, I could have made this dish, and not be too bogged down with cooking. Thankfully, I did not have a crazy day. My day was actually pretty meh. I have the absolute best "job" in the world, and I love that I get to help people change their lives. The kids came home and got right to homework without fighting me or each other. So I guess today was actually a banner day. I got off early, and came home and put dinner together.

The look of the dinner made me think of chicken parm., and that is actually an option. However, I made it the way it was written and it was so delicious! Everyone ate everything without picking or complaining. Success! The recipe came from Taste of Home Simple & Delicious Cookbook

Salsa Fish
Prep/total time: 20 minutes Makes: 6 servings

2 pounds walleye, bass or perch fillets
1 C seasoned bread crumbs
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 C salsa
2 C (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Coat fillets with bread crumbs. In a large skillet, brown fillets on both sides in oil. Transfer to a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Top with the salsa and cheese. Baked, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 7-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork and the cheese is melted.

So I have a tendency to overcook fish. I followed the directions to a T, and while I was eating, I kept thinking that I had under cooked it. I'm pretty sure it was just fine. Instead of bread crumbs, You could use coconut flour and unsweetened shredded coconut. You could also use Panko (Japanese bread crumbs). My family (David) doesn't like coconut, so I used Panko. I also used grape seed oil instead of vegetable oil.
I used broiled asparagus as our side dish.
To give this dish an Italian twist, substitute spaghetti sauce for the salsa.

I'm off to go clean the kitchen, and my biggest challenge is going to be not eating the leftovers, so I can have them for lunch tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment