Tuesday, January 27, 2015

What happens when life gets in the way?

I was in the waiting room at my dentist's office this morning when I got a call from the school nurse. I had to reschedule the cleaning (for the 3rd time). My daughter was running a fever. When I got to the school, I opted to just take both kids home, so I wouldn't need to drag my daughter back to school when my son got out. I brought them both home, and they did their homework, and then they actually both took a nap. I was able to get her in to see the Dr, but not until 6:10 PM. I had clients from 4-7, so David was the one to take her in. He also had to fix dinner. I had planned for him to fix dinner tonight based on my work schedule. I didn't plan for a sick child though. We had bacon cheeseburgers for dinner, but we used ground bison, and I was ready to use pork bacon, but David requested turkey bacon. For the turkey bacon, we use Applegate Farm brand. So while life does sometimes get in the way, if you just stick to it, and work as a team with what you've planned, things will go as smoothly as possible. I won't mention what my kitchen looks like. It's OK, I have a sick kid. At least that's what I will keep telling myself.

The kids were still awake when I got home, and while I was eating, my son informed me that he thought dinner tasted like bacon and eggs. Since I don't really have a recipe for tonight's dinner, I will share another of my favorite bacon and egg recipes. I found it in a fitness magazine - I don't remember which one. Tosca Reno submitted it. She  is a vegetarian, but I added bacon to this recipe as I am not a vegetarian. I broil/prepare the poblano peppers the night before, so I don't have worry about that part of the recipe. I also have not learned how to perfectly poach an egg, so I just cook them over easy. I spent the better part of a year teaching myself how to make the perfect fried egg. I will be learning how to poach and egg and soft boil and egg as well. I'm pretty picky when it comes to how I like my egg, and I practice until I have it down.

Baja California Eggs Benedict


Yield: 2 servings, each containing 1 whole English muffin, 1 roasted poblano pepper, 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites, ¼ avocado, and ½ of the yogurt “Hollandaise”.

Ingredients

  • Yogurt “Hollandaise”:
  • 1/3 cup low fat Greek yogurt
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp orange juice
  • Pinch cayenne, plus more to sprinkle on the top of the finished dish
  • 2 poblano peppers
  • 2 whole eggs + 4 egg whites
  • Eat-Clean cooking spray
  • 2 whole wheat English muffins, split
  • ½ avocado, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
  • Sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Preparation

  1. To make the “Hollandaise”, in a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, orange juice, and cayenne. Set aside.
  2. Place the oven rack 6 inches from the top, and heat the broiler. Place the peppers on a baking sheet and place them under the broiler. Broil 3 to 5 minutes until the skin is charred and blistered, then turn and repeat until the entire pepper is thoroughly blistered. Transfer the peppers to a bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let sit for 5 minutes to steam. Peel away the blistered skin, using a paper towel to wipe away any remaining blackened skin. Remove the stem and seeds. Cut the peppers in half.
  3. Fill the bottom of an egg poacher with 1 inch of water and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Spray the poaching cups with Eat-Clean cooking spray, and fill 2 of the cups with the whole eggs. Divide the 4 egg whites among the 2 remaining cups. Cover, and cook the whole eggs about 4 minutes for the whites to set and the yolks to thicken slightly. Remove the cooked whole eggs. Cover, and continue cooking the egg whites until opaque, another 3 – 4 minutes.
  4. Toast the English muffins under the broiler, and divide them between 2 plates. Place ½ roasted pepper on each muffin, and top with the poached whole eggs, and egg whites. Top with the avocado slices, and spoon the yogurt “Hollandaise” over the top. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and sprinkle with a little cayenne.

No comments:

Post a Comment