Monday, January 5, 2015

Back to reality and a family favorite

Today was the first day back to school for the kids, and back to a normal work week for the hubs after Christmas break. For me, all that means is that my personal life goes back to normal - controlled chaos. For any of you out there thinking that I have tons of time, so the meal prep and menu planning is nothing for me. I actually don't have tons of time, and I just have to make it work by fitting it into my schedule.

The kids have to get to school earlier than usual on Mondays, so I was thankful that breakfast and lunch were already made and ready for me. I dropped the kids off at school at 7:15, and headed to work. I work 8-2 on Mondays. I picked the kids up after school at 2, and we go home where they start on homework, and I get dinner ready while intermittently helping with 6th and 4th grade math problems. Once dinner was prepped and ready to be grille, David got home from work and off I was, back to work from 4-7. I don't expect the family to hold dinner for me, but they usually wait until I get home to sit down and eat.

Tonight, David had only one job, to grill the burgers...he left them on the grill a bit too long, and they were very well done. We sat at the table, and the kids were very tired from a full day back at school, and going in early to boot. David was subdued about having to go back to work as well. Needless to say, things at the table were rather quiet.

Tonight's post is short and sweet. This recipe came once again from the, "Taste of Home A+ Recipes From Schools Across America" or www.tasteofhome.com

Cheddar & Bacon Burgers

Prep/Total Time: 25 minutes   Makes: 8 servings

1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 C crumbled cooked bacon
1 envelope onion soup mix
2 pounds ground beef
8 hamburger buns, split
lettuce leaves and tomato slices, optional

1. In a large bowl, combine the cheese, bacon and soup mix. Crumble the beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties.

2. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the  heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160 degrees and juices run clear. Serve on buns with lettuce and tomato if desired.

I use grass fed ground beef. I also use only 1 pound of beef and 1/2 packet of the onion soup mix, but keep the potions of everything else the same.  They were a bit on the dry side, but I think that's mainly because they were slightly overcooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment