Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The dreaded pig in a blanket

Every time I set out to make the next 3 week block of menus, and I enlist my family's help someone will request pigs in a blanket. SIGH. I usually don't say anything, and I don't put it on the list. So this past weekend as I was making up the next set of menus, the hubs says, "you know what we haven't had in a while? Pigs in a blanket. Put that on the list." I told him that it was on this week's list as a way to appease him, and so I didn't have to put it on the next block. Well, now I had to make good on what I told him. Tonight I had to work late, and I had some yummy leftovers, so what better night for my family to have the ever requested pigs in a blanket.

I wish that I had seen that episode of "The Talk" with guest Evette Rios a few weeks earlier. One of the recipes she spoke about was a rehabbed version of the corn dog or pigs in a blanket. I think I may serve this up the next time someone requests them. OR I may just stifle a sigh, and leave it off the list for a few more weeks. Either way, I will have this recipe rehab in my back pocket. Well, in my avocado green recipe box.

Baked “Corn” Dog Mini-Muffins (gluten free)

Serving size: 6 mini muffins (recommend doubling recipe for a party!)

Ingredients:

• 3 tbsp melted butter

• 3 eggs, room temp

• 2 tbsp honey

• 1 tbsp washed and finely chopped dill

• 1/4 cup almond flour

• 2 tbsp coconut flour

• 1/4 tsp garlic powder

• 1/4 tsp kosher salt

• 1/4 tsp baking soda

• 1-2 beef hot dogs (cut into one-thirds or depending on height of muffin trays)

• Optional: shredded jalapeno cheese to top when still warm out of the oven

• Sauce: hot mustard

Directions:

1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.

2. Whisk together melted butter, honey, dill, and eggs.

3. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

4. Stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until incorporated. The batter will be very “wet” looking.

5. Pour/scoop the batter into a greased mini muffin trays (no more than two-thirds full.)

6. Place one hot dog slice* in the center of each muffin. *The muffin batter will rise so consider this when cutting the hot dogs to the appropriate height.

7. Place in oven on sheet tray.

8. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Check after 17 minutes, and rotate the tray so that the muffins in the front of the oven are now in the back.

9. Remove from the oven when done. Sprinkle cheese (optional). Let rest 5 minutes before removing muffins from the tray (easiest this way!) Serve with hot mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment