Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Honey-Mustard Short Ribs with Rice and Broccoli

Wednesday is a half day at work, and you'd think I would be relaxing and enjoying it. Well I do enjoy every bit of it, but relaxation isn't at the top of the list. My daughter has play practice after school, and I spend time with my son hiking or going to the library before we have to pick up my daughter. We get home, and get straight to homework before I have to take my son to his Parkour class, or head out to my Toastmasters meeting. I try to make Wednesday's dinner very simple. I know that Honey-Mustard Short Ribs with Broccoli and Rice doesn't sound simple at all, but that's why my slow cooker is my most treasured appliance. I have almost as many appliances as I do cookbooks - again, I ask you not to judge. When I use the crock pot, I always have to make sure I check how long the cook time is, so I know when to start them, and if I have to come home mid day to turn the cooker off. I knew I wouldn't be home in time to turn them down or off if I started them in the morning before heading out to school and work. Fortunately, I had a break in my schedule mid morning, and I was able to throw everything in the crock pot and get them started. I prepared the sauce in the morning, so I wouldn't have to do it on that quick, short break. I try to find barbecue sauces without HFCS, and I have even made my own, using recipes found on www.allrecipes.com and www.foodnetwork.com.
While the kids were working on their homework, I cooked the rice, and I had David make his appearance in the kitchen to steam the broccoli when Parkour was over and I was on my way home.

Dinner was absolutely DE-LISH! It actually tasted, and looked like it took lots of time and effort to make. Kaila loves ribs. Of any kind. She's my little carnivore, and I knew without doubt, that she would devour dinner. She also loves Wednesday dinner, because on Wednesdays we do "word of the day" at the table. I open my dictionary app on my phone (the only time a device of any kind is allowed at the table). The app gives a word of the day, and we listen to the correct pronunciation, read the definition, and then try to use the word in a sentence. The hubs usually gets pretty silly, and gets the kids acting silly as well. I try to check the word ahead of time to judge how out of hand things will get, then I can decide when we start "word of the day Wednesday".

Something must be in the air today, because while hiking with my son, my allergies hit me like a mack truck. I am feeling pretty miserable, and as soon as I am done here, I am taking a Benadryl and heading to bed. I don't know what I am allergic to, as I've never had an allergy test. I guess I should just take an OTC allergy pill if I plan to be out this time of year.

This recipe came from one of my cookbooks; Gooseberry Patch Everyday Slow Cooker

Honey-Mustard Short Ribs

3 to 4 lbs. bone-in beef short ribs
salt and pepper to taste
1 C hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
3 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp cold water

Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper; place in a slow cooker and set aside. Combine barbecue sauce, honey, mustard garlic and additional salt and pepper, if desired, in a small bowl; pour over ribs. Cover and cook on low setting 6-7 hours. During the last 30 minutes of cooking, whisk the cornstarch into water in a small bowl; add to slow cooker, stirring until sauce is thickened.
Serves 4

I used boneless short ribs, and cut the cooking time down by 1 hour.
I also used arrowroot instead of cornstarch

The kids did half of the clean up, and as much as it pains me to leave my kitchen a mess, I am in no shape to clean it now so it will have to wait until tomorrow. I am off to Benadryl induced LA-LA land.

goodnight all


No comments:

Post a Comment