Monday, January 19, 2015

Skewered steak kabobs

Today was a wonderful MLK day. The kids didn't have school, but David and I both had to work. I took the kids to my folk's house, and went to work. David picked the kids up on his way home from work, which meant that I had the afternoon free. What a beautiful day for a hike! So many people were out hiking that I couldn't call it a solo hike, but it was lovely none the less. I got home and had lunch and started the dinner process. The steak was supposed to marinate overnight, but I didn't do that. However, they did have about 4 hours to marinate, and that was enough.

As I was prepping the meal, it occurred to me that not everyone is able to come home mid day and meal prep. I get that I am very blessed in that respect.  I recalled a time when I did an experiment to see how hard it was to do what I was asking my clients to do as far as nutrition was concerned. I think I may try to do the same in this situation, and see how different things become if I act as though I am a 9-5er. I'm sure the prep will have to be different. Can't hurt to try. I feel like the way I prepped my roasted veggies last night, and most of the things I do for lunches can stay the same. Also living on leftovers for lunch is very helpful and time saving.

Tonight, David grilled the steak kabobs, and I had him grill up 2 chicken breasts so I can have them for lunch 2 days this week. Heath didn't like the marinade of the steaks, and he had 1/2 of one of the chicken breasts. The rest of us loved the steak. David made rice as a side dish, and I made a chopped salad as well. There are some leftovers, which is great because as much as I tried to hold off tomorrow's dinner, it was inevitable, and it is upon me. Leftovers it is.

Skewered Steak Kabobs
Makes: 4-6 servings

2 pounds sirloin steak
3/4 C soy sauce
2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp minced fresh garlic
4 12 inch metal or wooden* skewers

Hot cooked rice tossed with sliced green onions

1. Trim fat from meat. Cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Place in a resealable bag set in a shallow bowl.

2. In a bowl combine soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and garlic. Pour over meat. Seal bag. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator, turning occasionally.

3. Thread meat onto skewers leaving 1/2 inch space between pieces. Grill kabobs on a grill rack directly over medium heat for 15 minutes, turning several times. (For gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place kabobs on a grill rack over the heat. Cover and grill as above). Transfer to a serving platter. Cover and let sit 10 minutes before serving** If desired, serve the kabobs over hot cooked rice and green onions.

Side notes: One way I like to plan ahead, and I'd like to think that if I was a 9-5er, or a stay at home mom, I would definitely use the make ahead and freeze technique. If you were to plan ahead on this one, prepare the recipe through step 2. Freeze up to 1 month. Defrost completely in the refrigerator. Continue according to step 3. If you do this technique, remember not to refreeze meat. You would need to do this after bringing the meat home from the store. I have done something in the past where I do a meat run at Sprouts, then head to the grocery store, and I spend about 60-90 minutes in the kitchen cleaning and prepping meat and veggies, and then throw things together in different freezer baggies. I will make about 6 different meals to thaw out, and heat up. I've told you about the meatballs that I make ahead, this isn't much different. It's also a life saver when things get super busy. When I was pregnant with my daughter, and went through the nesting phase before she was born instead of cleaning, I was in the kitchen cooking and freezing meals. Our freezer was packed to almost overfull. That was so wonderful when I was sleep deprived, and really didn't want to cook. I did the same thing before my son was born, and have continued to do it about twice a year.

*If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 20 minutes before grilling. This will keep them from catching on fire.

**Letting cooked meat sit, or rest, a few minutes before serving allows the juices to redistribute, assuring juicy meat.

You can also use chicken  instead of the steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment