Sunday, January 18, 2015

Hooray for white chicken chili

Today was another relaxing Sunday for the most part. I got to sleep in and lounge around in my PJs while the family and I composed another 3 week block of menus. I had to do the shopping for the current 3 weeks of meats, so in the spirit of saving - gas and mileage (and time for that matter) in this case. I added the next 3 week block to the current 3 week block. I also had to head up to the grocery store to do the weekly shopping. I didn't want to come home between trips, so I did something I've not done before (sometimes I'm a little late to the party) I took an ice chest with me, and bought some ice at Sprouts. I loaded all the meat up in the ice chest and topped it with the ice, that held over while I did my grocery shopping.

Once the groceries were put away, and the kitchen was cleaned up, I started dinner. I was also able to cut some time off of this recipe, but while dinner was cooking I was able to get my veggies to go with my lunches prepped. This week, I roasted sweet potatoes, and Brussels sprouts. I was also able to get dessert for tonight ready. We don't usually have a dessert, but every once in a great while, I will fix something and try to pass it off as a dessert. I've even gone so far as to cut up a watermelon and tell the kids it's a dessert. Tonight, I fixed a mixed berry shortcake. Yum!

This recipe came from one of the cook books I've been using quite a bit lately, Taste of Home A+ Recipes. It's a newer cook book, so I guess the novelty hasn't worn off yet. However, when we were compiling the next 3 week block, I pulled out a few cook books that I haven't used in almost a year. So much fun, and I was able to break up my family's same 'ol same 'ol. That part makes me happy.

White Chicken Chili
Prep: 25 minutes Cook: 1 hour Makes: 7 servings

2 cans (14.5 ounces each) chicken broth
3 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each)
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cans (15.5 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1.5 C frozen white corn
1/3 C lime juice

Sour cream, shredded white cheddar cheese and/or minced fresh cilantro, optional

1. In a large saucepan, combine the first 8 ingredients (through cayenne pepper). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170 degrees. Remove chicken from broth; allow to cool.

2. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cube chicken and return to pan. Mash half of the beans. Add all of the beans, corn and lime juice to chicken mixture. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes of until flavors are blended.

3. Serve with the sour cream, cheese and cilantro if desired.

So I saved some time by using boneless chicken breasts, and cubing the meat before cooking everything. I followed the directions as normal, but cut the first cooking time down to 30 minutes. During that cooking time, I prepped the ingredients for the second step. I also prepped the berries for dessert, and the veggies I roasted for this week's lunches. I didn't have to remove the meat from the broth, and it was already cubed, so I just added the final 3 ingredients, and kept cooking.

Side note: I don't know what the chef or author was thinking, but they left out avocado from the list of optional extra ingredients. I mean, avocado is like bacon in the sense that it makes everything taste better.  I sliced up an avocado and my family added it on top of their bowls. So yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment