Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Soup & Sandwiches

My favorite thing about my favorite day of the week is going on hikes; either solo, or with Heath. So much fun exploring our wonderful backyard. Heath requested tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner. When I was compiling this 3 week block, I noticed quite a bit of bread throughout the menus. I thought I'd like to get a bread maker. I had thought about it once before, and I didn't know which one to get, or even what I wanted/needed/didn't need in a bread maker. One of my clients was very kind, and let me take hers home for a few days to try it out. I didn't buy one back then, but when I saw the amount of bread throughout the next 3 week block, I decided to go ahead and get one. All I had to do was get everything in the bread maker and set up the timer, etc. For the tomato soup, I used a recipe for tomato pasta soup, but I left out the pasta. I just figured that was too much. The soup took about 30-35 minutes to make. Easy delicious dinner on a busy week night.

I've had the cook book titled, Grilled Cheese & More - which is in the shape of a grilled cheese, since my daughter was in preschool. I bought it at a book fair held at the preschool. Safe to say it's a pretty old book.

Fresh Tomato Pasta Soup
Makes: 8 servings

1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 C chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
3 pounds fresh tomatoes (about 9 medium), coarsely chopped
3 C chicken broth
1 Tbsp minced fresh basil
1 Tbsp minced fresh oregano
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 C uncooked rosamarina or other small pasta
1/2 C (2 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is tender. Add tomatoes, broth, basil, marjoram, oregano, fennel seeds and black pepper.

2. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 25 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly.

3. Puree' tomato mixture in a food processor or blender in batches. Return to saucepan; bring to a boil. Add pasta; cook 7 to 9 minutes or until tender. Transfer to serving bowls. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.

Like I stated at the start of the blog, I left out the pasta for this time.

Hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment