Thursday, January 8, 2015

Shrimp stuffed poblano peppers

I have a confession. Last night I said I was taking a Benadryl and going to be, leaving the mess in the kitchen until today...I didn't. I couldn't. I admit that I cleaned the mess, and then took a Benadryl and went to bed. I was glad I did when I woke up this morning. I feel much better today thank goodness.

I always read the recipe (unless it's a recipe that I can recite off the top of my head) the night before or in the morning while I'm eating breakfast. It's like studying for a test. I like to kind of plan out when and how I'm going to make things happen. I always buy uncooked shrimp, and for this recipe, it was no different, but after reading it, I decided that cooked shrimp would save time. I worked a split shift today, so I went to the grocery after my first shift, and got some cooked shrimp at the seafood counter. I also had made extra rice for last night's dinner, so I didn't have to worry about that. However, I didn't have any celery, and forgot to get some when I went to pick up the shrimp. I had to  raid a few of David's veggie bags. It's OK, he'll never know the difference, just don't say anything.
I was able to pick up the shrimp, put a load of laundry in, fix dinner, clean up the mess AND eat lunch all before I had to go get the kids from school. I know that probably doesn't sound like the best or most relaxing way to spend the time between shifts at work, but to be totally honest, it's been so long since I've been able to come home mid day for something like that. I've been so busy lately. It was so lovely to come home and do some work around the house, and cook in my kitchen in solitude, just me and my dog. I was actually able to clean up the mess while the peppers were in the oven, and I finished cleaning before the dinner was finished.

This one was another super easy dinner that looks and tastes like it took quite a bit of effort. While I was making it, like every other meal, I was thinking of the kids. I knew that there was no way Kaila would even try it if it was in a pepper. I also wasn't sure if it would be too spicy for Heath (those are my kids names BTW). The recipe calls for 4 peppers, and I only bought 3, so I actually had extra "stuffing" I figured that the kids could just eat the stuffing, or they could put it on a tortilla and eat it. My philosophy for dinner used to be that I am not a short order cook, and the kids could eat what I fix, or they didn't need to eat. Then it morphed that they had to at least taste it before opting to eat something else. However they would eat that one bite, and fix something else, and then start snacking or have a huge dessert. Now I am actually a short order cook, because I will fix something different for myself sometimes. When I am menu planning or cooking I am constantly thinking of the kids, and my goal is to find ways to get them to eat what I fix. Heath is a super adventurous eater with an amazing appetite. Kaila, on the other hand, has a pretty short list of things she likes to eat. Her appetite, like other kids her age, coincides with her growth spurts. I just try to make sure she gets enough of the good healthy stuff, and I always try to serve up the limited veggies I know she will eat. Pick your battles is my mantra right now when it comes to her and food. I don't want any food issues to  show up while she enters her teen years. I know there are some people out there that might say I am letting the kids call the shots, but really, is it that huge of a deal that I give options around what I fix for dinner? We're all eating the same thing, just in different forms. I eat spaghetti squash when the eat spaghetti, they can have a burrito when I eat a poblano stuffed pepper. To each their own.

This recipe come from Taste of Home A+ Recipes From Schools Across America or www.tasteofhome.com

Prep: 35 minutes Bake: 10 minutes Makes: 8 servings

4 large poblano peppers
2 Tbsp butter, melted, divided
1 tsp coarsely ground pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 pound chopped cooked peeled shrimp
1 3/4 C shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 1/2 C cold cooked rice
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Topping
1 C panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp butter, melted

1. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and discard the seeds. Place peppers, cut sides down, on an ungreased baking pan. Brush with 1 Tbsp butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until tender.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and celery in remaining butter until tender. Stir in the cream cheese until melted. Add the shrimp, cheese blend, rice, lemon juice, and seasonings; heat through. Spoon into pepper halves.

3. Place on an ungreased baking pan. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over peppers. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until topping is golden brown.

I used Ghee to brush on the pepper halves, and to saute the onion and celery. I used butter in the topping. Also, it should be noted/suggested that you wear disposable gloves when cutting the peppers; the oils can stay on your hands, and if you touch your face, the oils can burn the skin. I don't have disposable gloves, but I will stick plastic baggies on my hands.

Tomorrow is the big test for this experiment. I usually end up not wanting to cook on Friday and Saturday evenings. I usually plan a meal for each day, and then end up not cooking. This wastes food and money. I've planned a meal for each night this weekend, so the test is on to see if I can follow through. I am hoping that this blog will be my way of holding myself accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment