Saturday, January 10, 2015

Spinach Salad with Tuna & Avocado

Today we'd planned to go out to eat for David's birthday dinner (a week early). Thank goodness we did. We had a family hair appointment, or should I say marathon hair appointment. We we're there for close to 4 hours, and there was no way I was going to cook after that. So off we went with our beautifully coiffed manes. We came home, and I planned out next week's menu and shopping list, one less thing I need to do tomorrow.

One thing I mentioned in a previous post is that I like to try to fix meals that share similar ingredients, so I am not wasting food. Earlier this week, I fixed something that called for 1/4 coconut milk which left me with the majority of a can of coconut milk. I used to juice all the time. Every morning. First thing before breakfast. Then one day, I just stopped. I remembered some juice recipes where some coconut milk was added. I'm pretty happy about that.

Since I didn't have to cook today, I don't have a dinner recipe for this evening. I do however, have a recipe for something I like to make for lunches during the week. I love vegetables, and I love colorful salads at that. The more colors and veggies, the better.

Spinach Salad with Tuna & Avocado

Total Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 main-dish servings

3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp water
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 ripe avocado, cut in half, pitted, peeled
Pinch cayenne (ground red) pepper
salt
2 Tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
2 Tbsp snipped fresh chives
1 pkg, (5 oz) baby spinach
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 med. red pepper, thinly sliced
1 can (15 oz) white kidney (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
2 can tuna packed in water (5 oz each), drained well

1. In blender, combine first 5 ingredients, and spices. Puree until smooth, scraping container occasionally. Stir in parsley and chives.

2. In a large bowl, toss spinach, celery, pepper, beans and tuna with dressing. Divide among serving plates.

3. Thinly slice remaining avocado half and arrange on top of salads.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment